Portland, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: I need to be pointed in the direction to file against my landlord. Due VERY UNSAFE dangerous situation by a tenant

Tenant in our bldg is severe fetynal/ meth user. He's been a a problem before we moved here last June. Been 7 months w/ us. Partner mental health is effected, I never had hi blood pressure. Dude has literally torn wires out of his walls sheet rock cut out, holes, literally he demolished it. Keeps banging on our doors all hours of day & night. Yelling rant raving he's gone kill neighbors, burn down the bldg, racist to anyone breaking into empty or occupied units to use toilet/ shower his power recently turned off. LANDLORD does nothing though for last few months next week it'll be over. 7 months that's all we heard. Even sent video of him out yelling in the pkg lot threatening etc. Cops do nuttin but make report over phone when this guy needs a padded cell. Tenants have moved out because of him. We knew him when he came to door & asked to take him to hospital which I'm OK with that...til he asked to stop at 7/11 store to get soda. That was not what he went for. Drug p/u.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I am unclear as to your goals. If it is to get rid of the fellow, that takes consistent, persistent pressure on the landlord. If the fellow is going to be out in a few days anyway, then your goal may simply be to recover some damages from the landlord. Whether that is likely takes a very careful, very fact-specific review of all events. Simply make an appointment with a local landlord-tenant attorney to evaluate everything and go from there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.