Greenfield, IN asked in Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Indiana

Q: Workplace mental health issue

I have a question: I was working at a local small government entity as a director. The outgoing director and I formed a strong friendship that ended with a emotionally charged discussion between us before they left. In the course of this discussion, the person said, “I hope you don’t hang yourself,” twice. I have and had medically documented suicidal tendencies but no serious instances. This was in February 2021 and I’m still being negatively affected by these comments including needing counseling and medication changes. I also had four instances as my term as Director where I felt suicidal. I have spent about $1,000 out of pocket for counseling in this time. I ultimately left the position. This position I spent several years to have the education and experience to get so it was not easy to leave. I know this institution carries insurance on the Director themselves. Do I have any basis for a claim? I don’t know what this would fall under. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: At the time of the comment, you are both acting in your official capacity so Worker's Compensation would be your sole remedy. That said, Indiana's Worker's Compensation law does not recognize psychological injury so I honestly do not see any viable cause of action. I would urge you to seek additional opinions.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.