Indiana Workers' Compensation Questions & Answers

Q: Are you able to place a lien on a worker's compensation claim in the state of Indiana?

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Collections for Indiana on
Answered on Dec 12, 2018
Stuart Gregory Steingraber's answer
Probably not because worker's comp awards are generally protected from creditor's claims. WC awards are intended to compensate a person injured on the job and not to pay the worker's debts.

Q: I got hurt on the job and work comp paid for everything they issued me a small check at the end of it. Can i still be pa

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Indiana on
Answered on Jul 25, 2018
Charles Candiano's answer
You need to speak with a local Worker's Compensation attorney and take a copy of whatever document you signed. is simply not possible to intelligently comment further without reviewing the document that you signed.

Q: I sustained a fall at work. Workmans Comp is doing what it should, but employer is demanding payment from me for my ins

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Indiana on
Answered on Feb 16, 2018
Chase T Wilson's answer
Worker's comp usually takes care of such things. I've never heard of an employer demanding you pay your work comp insurance while you're off work for a work related injury. Google worker's compensation attorneys in Indiana and give one a call. They'll know better than I do.

Q: Can an employer tell an employee not to take a prescription from a work-related injury that says to take "as needed"?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury, Workers' Compensation and Health Care Law for Indiana on
Answered on Oct 24, 2017
Chase T Wilson's answer
In this case the employee would likely receive something from the doctor, assuming this is a work comp doctor, saying that he/she will need to be off work for a certain amount of time if the pain is too much. My recommendation in this situation would be to have the employee go back to the doctor to see if time off work is necessary. If the employee needs to take the muscle relaxer to get through the day, but it interferes with their ability to perform their duties then they likely need to be...

Q: I was hurt at work from a fall. This resulted in a fractured shoulder. My doctor released me to work with restrictions.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Indiana on
Answered on May 31, 2017
Chase T Wilson's answer
Losing your job should not cost you your workers compensation benefits. Also, you should speak to an employment attorney about whether or not they can legally terminate you due to injuries sustained on the job.

Q: I have a pending on the job accident that led to injury to my right shoulder, 2 small tears in my rotator cuff,

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Indiana on
Answered on Apr 10, 2017
Chase T Wilson's answer
You need to hire a local workers compensation attorney.

Q: I lost my index and middle finger due to machine malfunction and my employer has already admitted fault

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for Indiana on
Answered on Apr 1, 2017
Alexander Florian Steciuch's answer
Yes, you should get an attorney immediately, preferably one familiar with personal injury in workplace settings. An attorney may be able to help negotiate you a better settlement than on your own. Only the attorney that you sit down with and receives all the facts can give you an accurate estimate as to how much you may be owed.

Q: Do I need a lawyer to handle my workman's compensation claim?

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Indiana on
Answered on Feb 18, 2013
Nathaniel O Hubley's answer
Normally, probably not. Most workers compensation matters can be resolved informally without an attorney. The system is set up to be self-governing. This means that the employer and its workers compensation carrier has specific obligations and must abide by those obligations. Now, if you get the feeling that you are being taken advantage of, then you should consult an attorney. If you think you are not being treated fairly, I would recommend getting an attorney. Most attorneys offer free...

Q: Indiana Workers’ Compensation Act covers all employees for injuries arisingout of and in the course of employment.

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Indiana on
Answered on Feb 18, 2013
Nathaniel O Hubley's answer
Not likely. The accident that occurred outside work would not have arisen out of and in the course of your employment. A lot of times injured workers sustain aggravations to a pre-existing back problem. If the aggravation occurred at work (while lifting something, etc) then it would be covered. You also might be covered under the workers compensation act if you can establish that the repetitive nature of your job (repetitive lifting at work) caused your back injury. Contact a workers...

Q: My company is welding pool cover fabrics without propr ventalation.its poising me. Could i get compensation?

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Indiana on
Answered on Sep 14, 2012
Timothy Coe's answer
You should alert the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). As far as getting compensation, you would need to file a worker's compensation claim if you are injured and have to go to the hospital. If the employer fights the worker's compensation claim then you need to hire a lawyer because these cases get complicated.

Best of luck!

Q: How long after a workmans comp insurance company denies claim do I have to file an appeal

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Indiana on
Answered on Aug 3, 2012
Timothy J. Deffet's answer
It is not clear what you are asking. Just because your company denies your claim does not mean that the judge has. You should consult an Indiana attorney immediately. Do not give an oral or written statement to the company or their representative until you contact an attorney. If you cannot find an Indiana attorney I could find you one. I am only licensed in Illinois. I hope you recover from your injuries quickly and are able to go back to work as soon as is possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.