Cape Coral, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: How do I get a divorce decree changed?

I was sick when my ex bullied me in to signing them. My ex wouldn't allow me the time to look at the papers before I signed them. I wasn't physically able to understand the papers at this time either, but my ex barked at me to just sign the papers. Other people knew about me being sick. Three days after I signed the divorce papers, I had to be taken to the emergency room and the next day too. I wasn't present when the papers were notarized. I don't want to get the notary in trouble. I just want to get the papers typed and ready for him to sign whenever he comes back. I'd also like some advice on what I am owed from this divorce, but I don't want this to drag on for a long time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Based on your question you need to take the papers to a local family lawyer for more specific advice. You call it a divorce decree but it is not clear if anything has been submitted to the court yet. You say that you signed divorce papers. Does that mean a marital settlement agreement? Please take the papers and speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.