Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Attorney told us to call we called no answer been trying for 2wks and no response what should I do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This is the sort of situation that can blow up in your face because something will get missed and you will get blamed... because it is your responsibility to attend all required court appearances and obey all conditions of bond regardless of your attorney's inaction. You should probably create a "paper trail" by documenting all communication and attempts to communicate. Create a log of the dates and times you called and whether or not you left a message. Send emails because they are timestamped on the server. Send text messages and save screenshots. Send actual paper letters and make copies of the letter and envelope with the proper amount of postage. Also, make notes recording whenever your attorney replies and what they said to do and not do. Contact your bondsman to let them know what's going on... and if it is supervised bond then also your supervision officer. But the most important thing is probably to always know the next court date for your case and whether or not you need to personally attend. If nobody else can help you then at least the court or clerk's office should be able to tell you by looking up your cause number on the docket.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.