Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Sexual Harassment for Kentucky

Q: Can I run away at the age of 17 and will the police search for me and take me back home?

My father is emotionally abusive, my friends and my friends parents have heard and know of my situation and I want to run away but don’t know if I’ll be taken back to him by the police, I turn 17 in June and really don’t want to be here. He doesn’t accept me over the smallest things like wanting to be called my middle name instead of my first name because it makes me uncomfortable, or the fact I like two genders. I’m not trans the trauma from being sexual touched makes me uncomfortable by my first name. He gets mad and yells at me over small stuff and calls me mean things when I don’t do what he asks or if I don’t do it correctly. What should I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: No. You should not run away. Yes. The police will bring you back. Make a report to CPS and let them investigate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.