Palm Harbor, FL asked in Personal Injury for Georgia

Q: Can I sue my parents for neglect/abuse from my childhood?

I am 22 now, but before I was 12 I was neglected and abused in the home. My mom was charged with child endangerment at one point and I have an incident report along with other things to prove it happened. Is my statue of limitations up? And how likely am I to win something like that. I'd only re-live my trauma to get something I deserved. So if my chances weren't high of winning that case, I wouldn't go through with it. I also live in FL now, but the neglect and abuse occurred in Georgia. Where would I file/find a lawyer?

Is suing for emotional distress an option? I have been in therapy for years and have plenty of documentation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck
  • Rome, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Most likely no. Georgia has a two year statute of limitations to bring civil claims arising from injuries to the person, which would include emotional distress. See O.C.G.A. section 9-3-33. Thus, any type of civil claim is likely time barred. Further, even if the statute of limitations would have been tolled until you turned 18 years old, your claims will still be time barred because you did not file suit within two years of turning 18.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.