Coatesville, IN asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Indiana

Q: If I tell an officer he can't come in and search for someone without a warrant and he tries to get in my house anyway

Is that a crime

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James A Hanson
James A Hanson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Wayne, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Short answer: No.

The 4th Amendment protects you from unwarranted searches and seizures (subject to a truckload of exceptions that make it more holes than wall).

The remedy for a violation of the 4th Amendment is the exclusion of any evidence found or seized.

However, if you have the right set of facts and circumstances, you can sue in civil court in what is known as a section 1983 case. You have to deal with qualified immunity for the officers even if your facts amount to a prime facie case. You will want to get an attorney that knows how to put a section 1983 case together properly as these cases are difficult and are routinely dismissed.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.