Asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: If someone is in jail and is on probation what can I do

He was on probation for felony drug charges was arrested got on probation went on the run was arrested again then again got on probation this was his final year on probation he was going to pay it off when he got his taxes but he relapsed became homeless and now is in jail with theft greater then a hundred less then seven fifty and possession greater then one less then four

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If you have the resources to hire him a better attorney than a court-appointed then you could do that. If you can't afford that, you could still make his life more comfortable in jail by depositing smaller amounts of money into his spending account at the jail... this is sometimes called "putting money on his books" and allows him to have a somewhat better quality of life in jail because he can do things like make additional phone calls and buy little things from the commissary.

Perhaps more importantly, you can send him old-fashioned paper letters. Those mean a lot to people who are locked up. However, don't write anything you don't want the cops to read... so don't talk about the alleged offense, his probation, his relapse, or stuff about his defense... in fact, just assume they will read everything and anything that could be misinterpreted and used against him will be. Maybe stick to topics like updates about friends and family.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.