Asked in Traffic Tickets and Criminal Law for Kansas

Q: I was pulled over for speeding and ended up with possession of controlled substance. Can the evidence be suppressed.

The officer never addressed the initial reason for the traffic stop. I believe he was on a "fishing expedition "and went beyond the scope of the initial reason for the stop. He questioned me in his car until I felt I had no choice, but to consent because of the things that were said. He based his probable cause off of nervousness and he lied in the statement. I feel my 4th amendment rights were violated and the evidence should be suppressed. Is this possible? This is in Missouri.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA

A: You should immediately hire a criminal defense attorney licensed in the State of Missouri to investigate your search and seizure issues as well as build your defense to the criminal charges. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.