Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Alabama

Q: I've had an affair with a client. I ended it, but he keeps pursuing me, and threatens to tell my job. What can I do

He calls, texts, and has sent things to my job. After being told not too. Im starting fear for my safety. He has incriminating text and pictures that support the affair but I also have text and emails asking him to stop contacting me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Travis T Juneau
Travis T Juneau
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: You may want to take a look at the crime of Stalking Second Degree, which states, in the relevant part, that if a person intentionally acts with an improper purpose, repeatedly harassed, telephoned, or initiated communication with another person and caused that person to reasonably fear for that his/her employment or career was threatened and the offender was told to stop the conduct then they can be found guilty of Stalking Second Degree. Stalking Second degree is a class B misdemeanor that carries a punishment of up to 6 month in the county jail and a fine up to $3,000. Also, if you chose to have the case investigated and charges are filed, I would as the District Attorney about adding a no-contact provision to their bond and any term of probation.

For reference Stalking Second Degree is codified in Section 13A-6-90.1 of the Code of Alabama.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.