Bountiful, UT asked in Family Law for Utah

Q: In Utah are you required to turn over financials in a grandparent visitation case?

I don't want opposing side to know I'm almost out of money to keep fighting for visitation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron

A: Short answers, based on the following, applicable rule, are sort of, maybe, and yes, unless you seek a discovery protective order (which will cost even more money and may not be granted).

This is from Rule 26.1, Utah Rules of Civil Procedure

(2) In cases where assets are not at issue, such as paternity, modification, and grandparents’ rights, a party must only serve:

(A) the party’s last three current paystubs and the previous year tax return;

(B) six months of bank and profit and loss statements if the party is self-employed; and

(C) proof of any other assets or income relevant to the determination of a child support award.

The court may require the parties to complete a full Financial Declaration for purposes of determining an attorney fee award or for any other reason. Any party may by motion or through the discovery process also request completion of a full Financial Declaration.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.