Atlanta, GA asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: renters didnt pay NJ rent 2020 and moved out w no response how do i sue on my own - over 20k

no response from address I found on file

stopped pay rent march 2020 when Murphy said it was okay. They moved out in Dec 2020. They claim that they are in a mental facility and the husband was deported. they also have foster children paid by state and also have family owned business. how can we sue on our own. I know it will be too much money if i paid lawyer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You can file a complaint. Because of the amount due you will need to file in Superior Court. If you only sue for 15K, you will be able to file suit in Special Civil part. Go to NJ You will need a good address to use to be able to have the complaint served.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.