Duncan, OK asked in Family Law and Adoption for Oklahoma

Q: Can my nephew 13 ask to live with me

So my nephew 13 - his dad will not get a job like is not trying lost their home and is bouncing between a drug addict friend and a house with no power or water

My nephew does not want to stay there - so his dad sent him to live with an aunt that he is really uncomfortable with to the point he has self harm ideation.

Cops and dhs won't do anything say there is no abuse going on

But my nephew is scared

He hates it there

He wants to come live with me

What do we do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Pryor, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I'm at a loss as to why DHS can't find abuse. Go ahead and take him in, and see an experienced family law attorney to file for legal guardianship. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.