Closter, NJ asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: How long should I wait before seeking legal action for non return of deposit?

I signed a lease a few weeks ago, after finding out the additional amount of upfront money they were asking for wasnt legal, I spoke with the landlord and he agreed to cancel the lease. I had already paid the realtor fees, as well as the first months rent and 1.5 months security with a bank check. The landlord is refusing the request from the realtor for a letter from him stating the lease is cancelled and he refuses to refund my deposit. They wouldn't even give me a copy of the lease until i paid the additional money (last two months rent). Do i have grounds for legal action? What should my next step be?

1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Send a written demand for return of deposit with thirty days.If LL refuses file suit in small claims court asking for treble damages and legal fees if you retain an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.