Peachtree City, GA asked in Immigration Law for Virginia

Q: Should a Canadian citizen have a criminal record (Assault 266 CC) removed if applying for US permanent resident status?

Should the record be pardoned? Should we just leave it as it and apply. The situation was a one off situation and corrective measures were taken and there have been no other situations that have come after.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roland Godfrey Ottley
Roland Godfrey Ottley pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: We do not know the date when the crime was committed to see how remote it may be from your application now. Not sure if there was more than an arrest and what exactly the person was convicted for if in fact they were convicted. In any event, USCIS will be focusing on whether the criminal conviction was one that related to a crime involving moral turpitude. If the crime by itself or if it has additional facts and circumstances related to it that make it more serious, then it could cause the applicant to the inadmissible. And the next step will be to see if there is a waiver that the applicant could use to overcome the inadmissibility. It would probably be very difficult to remove the conviction and it could also be quite expensive and time-consuming.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.