Burnsville, MN asked in Immigration Law for Minnesota

Q: I'm applying for a US Citizenship. I have a pending I-751 due to COVID and long delays. I had to get a travel stamp in

I'm applying for a US Citizenship. I have a pending I-751 due to COVID and long delays. I had to get a travel stamp in my passport at the USCIS Office. At that time they took my expired green card and never returned it. According, the M-477 checklist the first requirement is a copy of my green card. Should I just include my I-751 receipt? Since USICS took my green card? From my understanding, I can submit the N-400 application while the I-751 is pending.

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA

A: As long as you are eligible for the N-400 at the time you file, yes you can submit it while the I-751 is still pending. USCIS will not approve the N-400 until the I-751 is approved; depending on your local office, both applications may be decided at the same interview so it is important that your spouse attend with you when you are scheduled.

In addition to the I-751 receipt you can also submit a copy of your temporary stamp in your passport in lieu of your green card.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.