Omaha, NE asked in Child Support for Nebraska

Q: How does Nebraska determine if someone only owes 10% of their monthly income in child support?

What are the guidelines for being “low-income”

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: This is how the Nebraska Child Support Guidelines defines minimum support:

§ 4-209. Minimum support.

Even in very low income cases, except in cases of disability or incarceration where a lower amount may be justified, a minimum monthly support of $50, or 10 percent of the obligor's net income, whichever is greater, per month should be set. This will help to maintain information on such obligor, such as his or her address, employment, etc., and, hopefully, encourage such person to understand the necessity, duty, and importance of supporting his or her children.

You can use the child support calculator on the Nebraska Bar Association's website to see what amount of child support might be likely in your case and if the $50/10% might apply in your case. Cases where I have seen the Court use the 10%/$50 minimum include cases where the parent was a minor but working a part-time job while attending high school, a parent that doesn't receive disability but is out of work for a longer period of time due to an injury and doesn't have other income (no unemployment, no workers' compensation, etc.).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.