Asked in Criminal Law and Constitutional Law for Virginia

Q: 8 years ago, released from Tennessee without home plan or transfer of custody. Has been non-extraditable. Arrested now

Was in an atv accident with my daughter and a virginia state police charged me with reckless endangerment of a minor (no) and persuaded tennessee to extradite. I have not had my court date for the infraction to plead not guilty to this charge.

1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Fremit
Susan Fremit
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Spotsylvania , VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It appears that Tennessee issued a warrant of extradition for a misdemeanor which is usually non-etraditable and the VA State police were simply following up that. You may want to ask your former Tennessee attorney for advice on what is going on there. Also advise that attorney that you want to please not guilty to reckless endangerment of a minor (which is a felony criminal offense, not an "infraction".) If you cannot afford an attorney, you will be appointed one by the court. This is not the type offense you want to represent yourself.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.