Brookhaven, PA asked in Contracts and Collections for Pennsylvania

Q: Can I revoke Limited Power of Atty with Asset recovery company? They stopped answering questions once I signed.

The tax borough told me they could hold the funds up to three years. I went to them in February 2022 with a notarized letter requesting my funds. They told me they needed it in order to release my funds. The tax borough said check back in a year! I received a letter from this Asset recovery firm saying the tax borough and or county governments stall with releasing money and there is only a limited time to get it. They made me believe I wouldn't get my money without their help. I signed to receive my check today and they tell me it has to go to the Asset Recovery company so they can take the fee first. I signed paperwork May 18, 2022. They requested my funds on May 24, 2022. I'd appreciate any advice as soon as possible. I only have until the end of the business day today. Thanks in advance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Kennedy Bifulco
David Kennedy Bifulco pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Bethlehem, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Sounds like you may have been scammed. If I understand correctly this Asset Recovery company had you agree to have the check sent to them so they could cash it and take their fee. You should speak with an attorney and have the agreements and paperwork reviewed. You may be fine, but it also may not. Check with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.