Minneapolis, MN asked in Child Support and Divorce for Wisconsin

Q: Child Support Payments?

My spouse and I are going through a divorce and child support is having me pay to my children's dad as he has open benefits from the government (foodshare). He does not work and is waiting on social security which has been pending for 2 some years. My questions is, if we were to drop the open benefits, will I still have to pay for child support? And or if we drop the benefits now for the final divorce, can he still come back to apply for foodshare and does that automatically take me back to court for child support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
  • Brookfield, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: If this is a Wisconsin case, I can respond. If it is a Minnesota case, I do not know the law in Minnesot since I am not licensed to practice law in that State. In Wisconsin, the State has an interest in the child support proceedings if a party is receiving State benefits. If the recipient is no longer receiving them, it is up to the parties if they wish to follow the State guidelines for support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.