Anderson, IN asked in Criminal Law for Indiana

Q: If you get a successful completion of work release can they file a warrant for a violation a month after your release

My husband was released a month ago from work release. He was given a successful release completion signed the paperwork and was released on good terms no trouble while he was in there and now they have filed a warrant for a violation.. If there were any violations shouldnt they have dealt with it while he was there and not releases him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James A Hanson
James A Hanson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Wayne, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: In Indiana, the state has up to one year to file violations as long as the violation occurred during the term of confinement or probation. You need to carefully read the violation petition to see what it is they are claiming he did to violate his work release conditions.

I would recommend you find a local attorney to guide you in evaluating the violation petition. You will always be better off with the help of a competent attorney than going alone.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.