Palmyra, VA asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Energy, Oil and Gas and Probate for Alabama

Q: My mother passed away in 2016. My father was the executor of her estate. She inherited oil leases in a few states from

her parents. My father didn't transfer them over to his name. He passed in 2019. I am the executor to his estate. Problem is, she passed in Alabama and I am a resident of Virginia. We had to get a 3rd party resident of AL to handle the transfers of the oil leases to a LLC for my sister and myself. The 3rd party has not kept us informed with anything going on nor has she been proactive getting things transferred. Is there a way I could petition the Alabama court to take control over my mother's estate even if I'm not an Alabama resident?

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA

A: I assume that there's an attorney involved with your mother's estate? if so, speak to that attorney. if you have issues with him, then consult with another probate attorney and seek what is recommended.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.