Marco Island, FL asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: is there a way to evict someone out of a house if they own 50/50 but don't actually help pay for the house & other bills

My wife owns 50/50 of a house with her sister because when their mom passed away, she didn't have a will. Is there any way we can legally get her evicted from the house and ownership of it? She doesn't work. doesn't pay the mortgage, electric, water, etc... we pay all the bills while she trashes the house and doesn't work a job. She lets her 3 year old draw all over the walls and pee all over the floor.. Never helps with anything in the house. We would like to be able to figure out a way to get her out .

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: The best solution to your wife's unfortunate situation is to her to hire a real estate litigation attorney to file a lawsuit called a "partition action" to force the sale of the house. Your wife and her sister would then split the proceeds. She might be able to convince the court to distribute more than half of the proceeds to your wife to account for the sister not paying her share of the expenses and living there rent free and for damage done to the property, all of which you should discuss with the real estate litigation attorney.

Bruce Alexander Minnick and Terrence H Thorgaard agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.