Glen Burnie, MD asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Maryland

Q: My ex took away my son from me years ago. We never had an agreement set up on child support. Now she is finally giving

Me visitation so I have agreed to start paying again. If she takes away my visitation and doesn’t let me have him a couple days week and I take her to court, can she get me for back child support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: The court can only order back child support dating back to (1) the date a petition for child support was filed in the court; or (2) in the case of an existing child support order entered in the past, back to the date child support was not paid during any eriod that the existing child support order was in effect. Therefore, in your situation, if there has never been a child support order in place, then there is no child support arrearage due. If she files a petition for court ordered child support, then she can ask the court to award child support dating back to the day she files her petition in the court, since it can take months before a court atually hears her petition and rules on her request. The decision to award child support back to the date of the petition is discretionary with the judge, not mandatory, but it is often awarded. At any time before a court hearing, however, the parties can agree and consent to a child support amount and order, and can agree on any past due amounts owed dating back to the start of the court proceeding, or to a different date, or not at all.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.