Asked in Probate for South Carolina

Q: My son passed away in December of 2021. I am the administrator over the estate. My daughter has sold all of his persona

Sold all his personal property worth 116,000 dollars. How do I get it back. The estate has not been through probate yet

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: That is a terrible situation. I am sorry to hear you are going through this. Unfortunately, you probably cannot get the personal property back from any of the buyers unless you can find them and can prove that they knew or should have known that your daughter did not have authority to sell the property. What you can do is petition to open a probate case opened and to appoint you as administrator and then you can sue your daughter for theft or conversion of estate assets and, of course, for the cash that she received. You will need an attorney to help you with this. This is not a do it yourself project.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.