Greenville, NC asked in Collections and Landlord - Tenant for North Carolina

Q: Can I remove a debt collection charge if I can provide proof that I am not responsible for the debt?

I found about $35 non-compliance fee per month charge for not providing a current renters insurance policy to my landlord. They charged me $70 for 2 months despite me having insurance. I discovered that they have a copy of my current policy and so far I only received $35, but will potentially receive another charge of $35. The management company is refusing to delete this charge off my account because they claimed that I turned in my documents late. However, State Farm has provided a landlord renewal certificate for my insurance policy. If this amount with the addition of late fees be reported to a debt collection agency, it could negatively affect my credit score. I do not want to be charged for renters insurance that I already have and is provided to the apartment complex.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You are asking a hypothetical question. Typically a property management company would not submit this kind of thing to a credit bureau until after you move out because they would simply take the fee out of your security deposit.

Assuming that the landlord reports a debt of $35 plus late fee to a credit bureau, or any collection amount, you have the right to file a dispute with the credit bureau. Send in your written dispute with all of your proof to the address shown on the credit report for mailing in a dispute. Do NOT submit the dispute online. Save a copy of the letter and all attachments and send the letter certified mail with a tracking number you can look up the tracking online. Print and keep a copy of the tracking. The credit bureau then asks the proeprty management company to validate/verify the information. If the property management company verifies the debt is legitimate, the credit bureau will note that you dispute the account, but the report will remain. The only way the report will be completely removed is if the property management company fails to respond to the request for validation/verification or of the management company chooses to remove it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.