Atlanta, GA asked in Bankruptcy for Georgia

Q: I have a bankruptcy question. I need to file due to high credit card debt.

I have 1 joint credit card with spouse and don't want them to be affected. Can I remove my name from joint card that has a balance? Can I close the joint account before I file if it has a balance? What happens If I file bankruptcy and my name is still on joint card. I can't tell spouse that I am filing. I do pay All the bills. My spouse doesn't know anything about this debt. If I file bankruptcy will I still be able to pay that credit card balance off since my spouse is on it. Will he have to know about it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You cannot remove your name from the card. You can close it but you have to disclose that in your petition. Notice is going to be given to your husband regardless bc he is/was a codebtor on the card. Yes, you can file and still pay the debt but you cannot conceal this information from your spouse bc he is entitled to notice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.