Asked in Divorce for Indiana

Q: Can I get pro Bono or low Income lawyer for my divorce

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James A Hanson
James A Hanson
  • Fort Wayne, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You are not entitled to an appointed attorney in a divorce. The only time you are legally entitled to court-appointed counsel is when you are facing possible jail time (e.g. contempt of court for not paying child support, criminal cases, etc.).

However, there are several programs like Legal Aid, Volunteer Lawyer Program (VLP), and Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinics that provide some assistance either free or at a low cost.

Also, you and your ex can jointly hire a registered mediator to mediate the issues in your case and help you with preparing and filing the documentation even before you file the case. Under ADR Rule 8, parties are allowed to mediate their legal issues even when there is no pending legal case. This can be a very low cost way to get divorced even if you are not in agreement on all issues.

Of course, you can also download the self-help forms from for a divorce and do the divorce without an attorney following the instructions in the forms. This can be very helpful if you are familiar with the legal system, but the mediation route is usually better if you don't know the procedural and evidence rules.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.