Rowland Heights, CA asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Contracts for California

Q: West coast insurance company is refusing to pay claim. It is a covered repair . What can I do? Need car back

I took my car to pep boys because it’s belt was screaming. Had evaluation for 19.99 which I paid. Got estimates for $731. This is a covered repair and we had paid for extended warranty 3000. So call west coast, aka protective to get authorization. They told me I should take the car back to seller and wait for the repair . I have leukemia and dont have means to do that. This is our only car. The sellers say I could also take it to Glendora Cardinale, which I did and that’s where the car is. Now they won’t authorize the claim and Glendora cardinale won’t repair it.

1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Anapol
Neil Anapol
  • Insurance Claims Lawyer
  • Burbank, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Unfortunately, automobile warranties are not considered insurance and there is no way to sue the warranty company for bad faith. At most, you have a breach of contract claim worth $731. Give the warranty company a reasonable chance to authorize the repair. If they do not, your best bet would be to sue in small claims court for the cost of repair. I would take a close look at the warranty and make sure you complied with all of its terms before filing a small claims action.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.