Tampa, FL asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: My fiance and I are splitting up and my name is on the deed to our townhome. I would like to move out. How do I proceed

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: You can move out but you have an ownership interest in the home, may have equity and might be liable for a mortgage. If you signed the note you are liable for the debt. If you didn't sign the note you are not liable for the debt but would named in any foreclosure if your fiance doesn't pay because the bank would need to foreclose your interest. If you have equity you would want to have your fiance buy you out, refinance the mortgage in his/her name only or you can file an action in court called a partition to force the sale of the property. Make sure you use a real estate lawyer for any of these actions.

Charles M. Baron agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.