Jersey City, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: My landlords are selling the house. We are still on the lease for a year.

we'd explicitely told the realtor handling the house that we were not comfortable with recording or pictures and it would always be a no. She said she'd inform the realtor taking people through.

Someone came through today and I noticed as they were leaving that the woman was recording.

Neither she nor the realtor asked and she got nasty when I asked her to delete it.

Im worried they'll get us in trouble with the landlord for being uncooperative but I think I have the right to deny recording and pictures of my apartment especially since we werent informed or asked.

Particularly since I had a massive anxiety attack while they were here and she had her phone pointed at me for a period of time

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: All leases in NJ, whether written or oral, are deemed to include the provision of quiet enjoyment. This means tat, except in an emergent situation no one is allowed in your apartment without your consent. You have the right to place reasonable conditions of the allowance to enter. Tell the Landlord and broker that if anyone is shown the apartment, the visitor must leave the phone/ camera outside. Place a sign on your front that pictures or filming is not permitted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.