Asked in Domestic Violence for Mississippi

Q: I pressed charges on my husband for domestic violence and it was a mistake. Am I allowed to drop them?

I did it out of anger and didn’t include the whole story and our daughter will be born in two weeks and I really need him there. They are saying I have to wait until court to drop the charges and even then it’s up to the District attorney. I need advice I’m freaking out!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: What you were told is exactly right. The charge was brought by the State, not you. You are a witness. Whether it is dropped will be up to the prosecutor. This is done to insure that true perpetrators of violence are punished and victims are protected. Criminal charges of any kind should never be brought against a person out of anger, revenge, or harassment but out of a good faith belief that a crime has been committed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.