Howell, MI asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Michigan

Q: Can someone with 50/50 custody make exchanges at the police station due to safety concerns?

My boyfriend has 50/50 legal and physical custody. Last time we picked up his daughter they sent a threatening message about calling the cops over my driving. Though we did not do anything wrong. My boyfriend feels unsafe and bad for his daughter and wants exchanges to take place at a police station instead. We are aware we have to submit a motion to get this put in place, but can he tell the other parent he’ll only exchange at the police station regardless?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: He can. The parents can always agree on an exchange point; if no agreement, then whatever is in the order stands.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.