Jackson, MS asked in Criminal Law for Mississippi

Q: does this plea agreement mean I go to prison? 16 yrs in custody, 11 yrs suspended, 5 yrs supervised probation?

I have two charges both resulting of two offers, (both the same) that I have mentioned above, to run consecutive on a sale charge in MS. I have no priors. I need to know if I have to go to prison or not because I have to ensure my children have adequate supervision as I don't have any family in MS. Also, my court appointed lawyer has been very evasive in answering this question because she wants me to discuss details of another case with the DA. ensuring that "All charges would disappear", note, I have no extra knowledge pertaining to this case and have set 11 months in jail on it, just to be released all of a sudden no bail posted, conversation court, or anything. just want to know if this plea indicates that i actually have to serve time behind bars?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Madison, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Under the plea offer as given, it would seem that you would serve some time in MDOC custody; however, how long you actually remain in custody (more specifically, the possibility of earned time) is going to depend on the nature of the charges. Some allow you to become eligible for release after serving 25% of your time in custody, while others are 50%.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.