Newark, NJ asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law and Employment Law for New Jersey

Q: Can a new jersey public school rescind my job offer as a substitute per diem teacher due to a positive thc drug test?

My drug test came back positive, but I still don't know specifically for what. It could be the medication I am on or the thc from smoking. I have no idea which one came up. They gave me an offer and I was going through the on-boarding process when they sent me a random email saying I have been disqualified and the offer rescinded.

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Yes, just because certain drugs are taken by prescription or if they have been legalized does not mean that an employer has to hire you. I do not believe that they are required to indicate what drug or if that makes any difference whatsoever. Good luck and try some place else.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.