Asked in Child Support for Ohio

Q: Can I still get charged with back pay child support?

When the mother and I established paternity she refused child support I supported her financially since my son was born but we are at a point where we just don't get along anymore so I filed to pay child support. Can she still get back paid child support from when my son was born? I don't have evidence of everything that I gave her but it has been thousands of dollars.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
  • Delaware, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: A request for back child support must be made in advance. The parties are entitled to a trial for the court to decide if they cannot agree to settle the issue. At a court trial the parties can enter their testimony and provide evidence to the court concerning any reasons why the opposing party should not be given the relief which is requested. It is up to the court to determine whether or not money is owed related, for instance, to prior expenses and the birth which can be issues if there are outstanding bills. Child Support is generally granted at the date of filing but in a new case all issues may be raised.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.