Eugene, OR asked in Animal / Dog Law, Criminal Law, Family Law and Small Claims for Oregon

Q: I’ve filed reports with Animal Control for “Theft of an animal”, & “Possession of a Stolen Animal.” No response.

7.005.129 - Possession of a Stolen Animal.

A. A person commits the offense of possession of a stolen animal if a person has in his/her care, custody, possession or control an animal not owned by that person and not placed by the owner/caretaker of that animal, in the persons care, custody or control.. C. Possession of a stolen animal is a Class A violation.

(Ordinance 6-09, 2.5.10). (This is also relevant: 7.005.051 - Initiating a False Report to an Animal Services Employee:A person commits the offense of initiating a false report to an Animal Services employee if a person contacts Animal Services Agency in person, by telephone, in writing, by facsimile or other means and reports a violation of this animal services code that the reporting person knows is false.B. Initiating a false report to an Animal Services employee is a Class A violation. (Ordinance 6-09, 2.5.10).

How do I get my cat returned?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jennie Lynn Clark
Jennie Lynn Clark
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Only non attorneys can appear in small claims court. If you know who has your cat and you can prove you own the cat, you could file a case in small claims court and ask for injunctive relief for the return of your cat. You could also hire an attorney on an hourly basis to file a civil suit for injunctive relief of the return of the cat. However, attorney fees would be much more than the value of the cat. I am sorry about your cat, as I realize the emotional bonds involved.

Katherine Goodman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.