Chicago, IL asked in Child Custody for Louisiana

Q: My ex husband has sole custody of our 2 girls. My ex and I want to change our legal custody to our girls living with me.

What do we need to file with the courts so that we both share custody but they now live with me..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If you have an existing Order/Judgment then you probably need to do a modification, but if significant changes have occurred since the Order then it might be best to file a new suit----without more information, people on this board cannot adequately provide guidance. I strongly recommend that you do not this without an attorney----I would suggest that you use the Find a Lawyer tab on the Justia website and search for family law or child custody lawyers in your parish/jurisdiction and have a consultation to specifically discuss what you want to do and the pros and cons and then hire the lawyer with whom you are most comfortable to accomplish this. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.