Asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Missouri

Q: My attorney refuses to file a motion to withdraw guilty plea.

I have never seen any of my case file.

I have never been given a copy of what my attorney told me to sign.

My attorney refuses to allow me to withdrawmy guilty plea, and he changed the terms of the plea less than 5 minutes after I signed it.

He doesn't answer or return my calls.

He tried to get me a new charge by waiting until 6pm before 10am court to tell me I would be drug tested at the hearing.

I paid him a lot of money, and a 1st year law student could get it dismissed using the police report alo e, and he will not even try.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Mueller
Matthew Mueller
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Saint Louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Under Missouri law, a defendant can ask to withdraw his guilty plea if he can show that he was misled or induced to enter a plea of guilty by fraud, mistake, misapprehension, coercion, duress or fear. There are generally no time limits for filing a Motion to Withdraw a Guilty Plea under Rule 29.07(d), but keep in mind that if you pleaded to a felony, than your relief might be limited to Rule 24.035, whereas if you pleaded to a misdemeanor, then your only avenue for relief would be to file a motion to withdraw your guilty plea under Rule 29.07(d) because relief is not available under Rule 24.035 for misdemeanor offenses. You should consult with a different attorney to explore your options to possibly withdraw your guilty plea.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.