Winter Park, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: What controls can I place on a12-year-olds' cell phone given to him by his non-custodial mother?

My son has a smartphone that his mother gave to him without discussion with me. The phone has a lock code that his mother will not share with me and she has instructed the child to not share it with me. Our parenting agreement has no mention of cell phones to guide us. I have parental controls on his computers and tablets that he uses when he is with me. I set a rule that he cannot take his phone to bed with him. I have spoken with my son about what I expect of his behavior using all of the digital devices including his use of social media. What can I do to keep my son safe and act responsibly while on his phone? Am I legally responsible for anything my son may do on the phone while he is with me? Since his mother refuses to work with me on setting any controls of the phone, I need to know what I can and cannot do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr.  Joseph Lafayette Gufford III
Mr. Joseph Lafayette Gufford III
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Stuart, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: This is a shared parenting issue and may possibly be addressed in your parenting plan under communications. If not it is still a shared parenting issue . You should consult with a qualified attorney to discuss the situation and give a good analysis as to how to proceed forward

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.