Salinas, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: what are my sons options in court if he didn't qualify for public defender and doesn't have enough to retain a lawyer ?

he just started a new high paying job but hasnt gotten paid yet, the judge only gave him 2 weeks to return to court. he is facing 2 felony gun charges with 1 enhancement and has 2 attempted murders on his juvenille case with 2 strikes

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: when he returns to court, he should AGAIN request a court appointed lawyer.

he should explain it is a new job and does not have the money to retain a lawyer...........and maybe because of this case he may soon lose his job (if that is a possibility)

I am sure the judge will appoint a lawyer.........however, the court may bill your son for the PD???

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.