Queens, NY asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: Can I help my wife obtain a green card if I’m disabled on a fix income ( ssi income)?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Roland Godfrey Ottley
Roland Godfrey Ottley pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Since you are a US citizen sponsoring your wife, you must file an affidavit of support, even though you do not have sufficient income. However, you will need a cosponsor, someone who has sufficient income and who was either a green card or US citizenship. This person who has to be presently employed and can obtain a letter from their employer that they are employed and are in good standing. Islam else with your application spine than, the wife's application should be approvable once you have a proper cosponsor.

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: Yes but you would need to engage a joint financial sponsor to assist you with the application.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.