Corbin, KY asked in Domestic Violence for Kentucky

Q: How do I talk to the judge about dropping a dvo

I had a fight with my husband over a year ago and it got heated and I threatened with child protective services to file an emergency protective order against my husband. I tried to ask for it to be dropped last year and the judge said no and since then I was threatened again with cps and they said they’d take our kids if I didn’t get them added because my husband and I argued over the order not being dropped yet. So he was arrested for it because child protective services were called because we broke the order and they said I had to file additional charges and amend the epo or they’d take the boys. Now I’m scared to lose them or go to jail myself because all I want is my family back.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You will have to go back to court and ask the judge to modify the order of protection.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.