Pacoima, CA asked in Bankruptcy for California

Q: Lawyer wont return my Deposit after I decided not to procced and I have no contract signed

I put in a deposit to start my bankruptcy, I ended up settling with the card companies and canceling the the bankruptcy. I then asked for my deposit back since we didn't do a contract and the lawyer refuses to return it, says its a consultation fee when the receipt he gave me says deposit and never mentioned a consultation fee

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Boyertown, PA

A: As you've never filed your bankruptcy case, the bankruptcy court has no jurisdiction over your claim.

It may be that the US Trustee's office, or the California Bar Association, would be the more appropriate agency to entertain your grievance.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.