Chicago, IL asked in Federal Crimes for Ohio

Q: fed inmate is serving 5yrmin. 1 old charge is W.U.D. would his points/minsent- change cuz bill passed felons can own gun

If a federal inmate is serving a 5 year min for non violent drug charges. Because of the new bill passing that felons can carry guns, would his level (points) go down which would make his mandatory minimum go down which could get him a lower sentence? (He has a weapons under disability felony. Time already served on that)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: There is no new bill passing allowing felons to carry guns, and even if there were, it is unlikely to impact your friend's case, which it sounds like has already been decided.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.