Round Top, NY asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New York

Q: Can I move out of state with the child if both parents signed a noterized custody agreement giving me custody

They gave me permission to make any and all decisions about the child.That the child lives with me and I make decisions regarding doctors, education etc

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The signed and acknowledged agreement must do more than give "custody." It must specifically state that relocation is agreed upon, and to bolster its validity, the agreement should include a visitation plan for the stay-behind parent. There should also be a passport authority statement in the agreement with provisions for how the stay-behind parent can access that passport for his international trips with the child.

The message here is that one-sided agreements whether notarized or not will always fail, and agreements that have mutual benefits for both parents will always withstand court scrutiny.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.