Fort Mitchell, KY asked in Estate Planning for Ohio

Q: My mother passed away 10 years ago with no estate. Is it too late to be appointed representative to get her tax records?

She passed away with no estate or will and no one was ever appointed personal representative. I recently found out her employer owed her alot of money and I would like to look into it. What can i do? I would like to get her IRS transcripts before it's too late. They will only have her records for the year of death on file until the end of this year.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aaron Epling
Aaron Epling
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Hilliard, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: In Ohio, an administrator or executor could still be appointed and may have the authority to obtain records. Whether the IRS still has them is another issue. Also, the cost may outweigh any benefit. Even if you're digging for evidence to mount a lawsuit against an estate beneficiary, many statutes of limitations have run by now.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.