Brooklyn, NY asked in Small Claims for New York

Q: Where to take legal action for an invoice nonpayment when the client is in a different state?


One of my clients has failed to pay the remainder of an invoice ($2000) that was due months ago. Every month I remind him and he comes up with excuses. I've been very patient and understanding but its been too long and I want to take legal action.

I am Freelance Visual Effects artist based in NYC and the work was done for a client in LA (From my home studio in NYC). So my question is: where is the jurisdiction and where should I file a complain/lawsuit and generally how o go about it?

Thank you in advance

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jack Mevorach
Jack Mevorach
  • Cedarhurst, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Often, a contract between parties specifies jurisdiction. If yours does not, consider adding that provision.

Depending on the facts, jurisdiction may lie in New York, California or both.

It doesn't pay to retain counsel for a $2,000.00 claim.

Have a free telephone consultation with counsel.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.