Las Vegas, NV asked in Child Custody for Nevada

Q: I have a couple questions about family custody

Hello my name is Savannah B.,

My husband has 2 kids by someone else . They were both living in San Diego . She had left to Las Vegas Nevada. So we decided to move to Las Vegas so he can be closer to his kids . Well we never saw them or she didn’t contact us . On his kids were about’s . She had called one day and said she was back in Youngstown Ohio. My husband never gave her consent on her taking them out of state . So how would we go about filling for full custody? mind you she has went to the hospital due to domestic violence in the home . We haven’t here’d from the kids mother nor the kids in a few months . I am highly concerned for the kids safety. If you can help us that would fantastic. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: A parent cannot move a child out of the child's resident state without either a Court Order or the other parent's consent.

I am not certain from your question and fact pattern if the parties already had a Custody Order in place before Mom moved away with the children. If there was a Custody Order in place, then Dad will need to file a motion for contempt and for return of the children. There are legal remedies available to Dad as Mom cannot unilaterally remove the children from the state without either the Dad's consent or a Court Order.

Janice Jacovino agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.